Saturday, July 26, 2014

Shortcuts to generate the html code for a clickable link

There are many ways to easily generate the html code needed to create a clickable link.  Below I will explain how one can:

A) Save the basic html code to a document or in an email.

B) Use a blog draft to create a link

C) Use one of the online html link generators. (The easiest method of all!)
_________________________________________________________________________________

A) Save the basic html code to a document or in an email

1. Save the following code and instructions to a document or an email.

<a href="webaddress">Type words you want your link to display here</a>

2. When you want to create a clickable link copy the code and paste it onto the message board.

3. From another tab, window, etc. copy the target web address and return to the message board.

4. Delete the words -webaddress- (everything red). Make sure that you haven't deleted the quotation marks and then paste the target web address between the quotation marks.

5. Delete the words -Type words you want your link to display here- (everything blue). Make sure that you haven't deleted the pointy brackets and then type the text you want the link to display between the pointy brackets.

6. Click on Submit Message.
_________________________________________________________________________________

B) Use a blog draft to create a link.

To use my blogspot blog to create a link I use the following steps.

1. Copy the web address of the webpage I want to link to.

2. Initiate a new blog post.

3. Click on the "Link" link. (refer to illustration below)

4. Enter the text I want my link to display.

5. Paste the web address of the link.

6. Click "OK".

7. Switch to HTML mode

8. Copy all of the characters that are on the post and paste it where I wish to create the link.

(Although I don't publish the post I have just created if I have reason to save it for future reference I can save it as a draft post.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
_________________________________________________________________________________

C) Use one of the online html link generators.

I have several webpages that I use to quickly create clickable links. The simplest one to use is the one my son created for me when I needed to convert hundreds of web addresses into clickable links.

http://macdonell.net/linkify.html

To use it I just paste the target web address(es) into the box, click on the "Linkify" button, click the "Copy to Clipboard" button and then paste the code where I want to make my clickable link(s).  It is especial useful when I want to make a list of clickable links, or any time that I don't mind that the link appears as the target web address.

When I want to create a single text link that has a catchy title I like to use

http://easyhyperlinks.com/index.asp

After I paste the target web address in the top box and type the text I want the link to display in the second box I click "Construct Link".  After I test my link I can copy everything in the "Your HTML code" box and paste it where I wish to create my link.

When I want to create a link using a clickable image I like to use

http://easyhyperlinks.com/picture.asp

After I paste the web address of the target page in the first box and the web address of the image in the second box I type the alternate text the link could display in the ALT Tag box and click "Construct Link".  Again I can test the link before I copy everything in the "Your HTML code" box and paste it where I wish to create my link.
_________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment