Saturday, December 7, 2019

Boxes from Greeting Cards for Flat Padded Ornaments

 photo 935.jpg

I have often slipped flat ornaments into greeting cards, and then envelopes, but when the ornaments are padded it makes for a bit of a lumpy package. Sometime I have inserted rectangles of bubble wrap, with ornament shaped apetures, into the cards but this year I used some foamcore strips to fashion the greeting cards into shallow hinged boxes.

Before adding the foamcore strips I did the following.

 photo 963.jpg

Optional cut. Since I intended to slip the box into the original envelope I started by trimming the card along one of the edges that was perpendicular to the fold. The amount removed approximated the thickness of the foamcore.

 photo 938.jpg

Cut. On the back of the card I trimmed the edge that was parallel to the fold of the card.

 photo 942.jpg

The amount removed approximated the thickness of the foamcore.

 photo 960.jpg


Score and fold. I scored the front of the card parallel to and about the thickness of the foamcore away from the fold,

 photo 961.jpg

and folded along the scored line.

 photo 949.jpg

I glued strips of foamcore to the top, bottom and outside edge of the inside back of the card and inserted the ornament (If the card had been wider I would also have glued a strip of foamcore along the folded edge.)

 photo 932.jpg

Optional.I used a piece of decorative tape to fasten the box closed.

 photo 935.jpg

 photo 967.jpg

 photo 954.jpg

 photo 956.jpg

Optional. I slipped the box into an envelope.

 photo 950.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment