Thursday, November 8, 2018

Winter Wonderland Ornament

For my 2018 Christmas gift ornament I again decided to make equator band ornaments. My tutorial for these ornaments can be found at

https://pinwheelponders2.blogspot.com/2018/11/equator-band-ornament-tutorial.html

The design for these ornaments is an adaptation of a Joan Elliot chart that was in a booklet included with issue 195 of Cross Stitch Crazy magazine. The design was 80 stitches wide but I repeated some sections to make it 200 stitches wide.

I stitched the design 16 times on strips of 25 count antique white fabric,

 photo 614a.jpg

sandwiched the stitched bands between strips of fabrics that suggested snow and sky and mounted them on 2.5 inch foam balls.  As I finished gathering the fabric on each one I placed it in the bag that the balls had come in.

 photo 618.jpg

Later I tidied up the pleats, placed the ornaments in egg crates and spritzed the tops and then the bottoms of the ornaments with a bit of spray starch.  When they were dry I added the buttons and hangers to the ends and removed the basting threads. 

 photo 621.jpg

 photo 623.jpg



 photo 630.jpg

 photo 631.jpg



 photo 642.jpg

 photo 636.jpg

 photo 646.jpg

 photo 648.jpg






1 comment: