Saturday, August 1, 2015

1866 Marriage of Patrick Gallagher and Catherine Maloy

Patrick Gallagher and Catherine Maloy

I believe this is the marriage record of my great grandparents, who were both born in Co. Mayo Ireland. (Click on it for a larger image.)

Pat Gallagher, <mason's labourer> born about 1845 to John Gallagher, and
Catherine Maloy (may be misspelled), born about 1847 to John Maloy,
were married at the Roman Catholic Chapel at Dewsbury Yorks Co. on December 12 1866.

My great grandparents were Patrick Gallagher and Catherine. I know that they lived in Batley W. Yorkshire from at least 1868 and their children were:

Mary Gallagher .... (b. about 1868 at Batley, Dewsbury W. Yorkshire)
John Gallagher .... (b. about 1869 at Batley, Dewsbury W. Yorkshire)
James Gallagher .. (b. about 1871 at Batley, Dewsbury W. Yorkshire)
Catherine / Kate Gallagher (b. about 1874 at Batley, Dewsbury W. Yorkshire)
Ann Gallagher ..... (b. about 1881 at Batley, Dewsbury W. Yorkshire)
Francis Gallagher . (b. about 1882 at Batley, Dewsbury W. Yorkshire)
George Gallagher . (b. about 1884 at Batley, Dewsbury W. Yorkshire)
Martin Gallagher .. (b. about 1885 at Batley, Dewsbury W. Yorkshire)
Patrick Gallagher . (b. about 1890 at Batley, Dewsbury W. Yorkshire, died near Savy France on Apr. 3 1917.)

I believe that these were my great grandparents because:
- On the 1871 census* the only Patrick and Catherine Gallagher household in Yorkshire were my great grandparents.
- The age of this Patrick was just right to be my great grandfather.
- At the time of the 1881 and 1901 censuses he was employed as a mason's labourer.  (In 1871 he was a "woollier" and in 1891 he was a general labourer.)
- The name of one of the witnesses may also be collaborating evidence because on the 1871 census my great grandparents' next door neighbours were Bridget Costello and her children.  There is no Martin living there but on the 1861 census there was Martin Costello living with his mother Bridget at Manchester.

*On the 1871 census I found one other Patrick Gallagher of approximately the same age as the one on the above certificate (born about 1846 at Ireland) married to a Catherine but they were living at Alverstoke Hampshire.  I also found one much older Patrick (born about 1815) married to a Catherine at Northumberland.  On the 1881 census I found one other Patrick Gallagher about the right age (born about 1844) married to Catherine Sen Gallagher at Burnley Lancashire.  There were also other Patrick Gallagher and Catherine households but the Patrick was either too old (born about 1816, 1831, 1836 and 1841) or too young (born 1855 or 1856).

I recognize that old records have errors and people sometime use different names so there is a chance that these aren't my grandparents.  So, if you have have a connection to, or more information about, anyone mentioned above please leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment